As a college professor of photography and digital imaging, it is often a sizable part of my job to stay on top of technical issues. I can spend a large part of my teaching day dealing with chemistry, software, cameras, computers, hardware, film, printers (film and digital ) etc. etc. etc. I spend very little time on these aspects when it comes to thinking, teaching, and writing about photography, art, or pedagogy, within the larger context of intellectual and cultural issues. Non the less, deep down I am a technophile (I think all photographers must be to some degree in order to make things work) and am always testing and learning about some new or old aspect of photographic and computer technology. Technology plays a huge role in my life ( I would say more then most, less then some) and yet I give it so little credence in my daily living. A book that comes to mind for me when thinking about some of these issue is called High Tech, High Touch: Technology and our Search for Meaning, by A. Naisbitt, N. Naisbitt, and D. Philips. I have not read it in many years but now have to go find it on my bookshelf.
I actually did not began this entry in order to go on some tangent about technology, but instead to discuss an exciting topic: developing outdated film. Recently I was shopping for some 4x5 film and the gentleman at the counter told me that they did not have any in stock. He then reached under the counter and pulled out a bag of 10+ boxes of expired color and black and white film and offered to sell it to me for $50. Why not. I like a good deal and though the color was probably no good, the black and white, he and I were confident, was still good (about 250 sheets in total including T-Max, Tri-X, and HP-5) So last night I took my antiquated, outdated technology and made some test shots, with my antiquated camera, in a light snow storm and in our little apartment. It was kind of fun.
I actually did not began this entry in order to go on some tangent about technology, but instead to discuss an exciting topic: developing outdated film. Recently I was shopping for some 4x5 film and the gentleman at the counter told me that they did not have any in stock. He then reached under the counter and pulled out a bag of 10+ boxes of expired color and black and white film and offered to sell it to me for $50. Why not. I like a good deal and though the color was probably no good, the black and white, he and I were confident, was still good (about 250 sheets in total including T-Max, Tri-X, and HP-5) So last night I took my antiquated, outdated technology and made some test shots, with my antiquated camera, in a light snow storm and in our little apartment. It was kind of fun.I tried the 3 types of film in both my field camera and Leonardo (a pinhole camera). I am happy to report that the film (dated 2004) works great and am now obligated to shoot black and white film for a while. It is down right American (and perhaps universally human) to want a good deal , yet when it comes to serious photography, I leave less and less to chance and just use the "correct" tools including fresh supplies and relatively new equipment.


No comments:
Post a Comment