Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Resourcefulness and Dennis Chamberlin

'When the monkey trainer was handing out acorns, he said," You get three in the morning and four at night." This made all the monkeys furious. "Well then, he said, " You get four in the morning and three at night." The monkey were delighted. -Chuang-tzu

From the book The Tao of Photography, Seeing Beyond Seeing, by Gross and Shapiro

I met Dennis Chamberlin when I was a Visiting Professor at Indiana University in 2002/03. I noticed that he was using the book The Tao of Photography in his intro photo courses and I thought it was an interesting choice of text. Anyhow, I bought the book and from time to time like to choose quotes out of this book to read to my students. Thanks Dennis for the idea. Check out Dennis' probing work. I wonder if he is still using this text for his intro classes?

© Photo: Dennis Chamberlin, Journey (from Screen Culture Series)


"We look at the world and see what we have learned to believe is there. We have been conditioned to expect....But, As photographers, we must learn to relax our beliefs. "
-Aaron Siskind

No comments: