Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Across the United States

On May 12 my family and I set out for our drive across the United States from Buffalo, New York to Eastsound (Orcas Island) Washington. It was the kind of trip where the goal was simply to get from point A to point B. While it had its moments, driving a 25 foot moving truck was a exhausting. One of the highlights of the trip was when we stayed in Wyoming. The hotel we were in was holding a leather working conference and we were immersed in more leather products-including holsters, hides, belts, and saddles- than you can imagine. There were many wonderful photographic moments and places we passed through, though I only managed to take two snapshots during the whole trip, one of which is below. (The other is of my son Emmit at Wall Drug)

DeHart, Somewhere in Ohio, May 2008

A highlight of the trip, and a much needed break was in Bozeman, Montana, where we stayed with the van Coller family. It was wonderful to see Ian, Nancy, and the kiddies while catching up on old times. Ian showed me some new and recent work, and as usual the work is provocative, sensitive, and beautiful. I was also quite fascinated with Ian's almost religious passion for fly fishing.

Ian van Coller, Mokgaetse Elisabeth Moshasha, Collage Portrait, 2008

Jesica and Asher arrived on Orcas on Saturday, May 17. Emmit and I Sunday morning. Nothing can quite compare- in my mind- to the exquisite beauty of the San Juan Islands. We are very excited to be "home" and have many adventures planned. I have already began a makeshift darkroom in the bathroom so that I can develop black and white 4x5 film.

2 comments:

Ian van Coller said...

It was great to see you guys. We hope to visit Orcas Island in the not too distant future.

I hope to have the new portraits up on my website soon. I am headed to my studio to make photos of them as I write.

Ian van Coller said...

Hey Dennis, I started my own little self indulgent Blog.
www.ianvancoller.blogspot.com