Wednesday, June 18, 2008

N+1, N-1

During the past few days I have been shooting both medium and large format film, combining both technical tests and attempting to develop some creative seeing. On Monday I shot late into the evening and I was happy with a couple of the 4x5 negatives. Two of the images from the Monday night shoot have provided me with some direction that I might like to go with this new work.

T-Max 400, 4x5, DeHart, 6.08. 
I was interested in capturing the dark quality of the evening trees and lake. I exposed the negative so that the image would be dark, yet maintain detail. My exposure was between zone II & zone III (intentionally underexposing slightly). I overdeveloped (n+1=10%) so as to give the image drama. (click on the image)

6x7 negative, Plus-x, ISO 125, Yellow Filter. DeHart, 6.08
I Overexposed 1 stop and used N-1 to lower the contrast. This is a typical "formula" that I often used in Arizona in bright light for black and white.  This kind of lighting technique reminds me of an open flash. The light is usually over my should (from behind) and is very direct. I used this kind of lighting in my recent color work in Buffalo. (minus the N-1). I am currently moving in a different direction with lighting in my developing project.

I will be biking in the San Juan islands over the next 2 days and plan to shoot and camp on Shaw Island, which is quiet, relatively undeveloped, and very private. The University of Washington owns a marine preserve on the island. I will also be on San Juan Island to meet with Barbara Cox from Photokunst to learn more about photography "scene" here in the islands. 

No comments: