Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A NW Sense of Place

It is really good to be back in the Pacific NW. It has been over 9 years since we have lived full time in the region. In honor of being back, I have been spending time reading and reconnecting with the "lay of the land." An excellent book on the natural history of the region is non other then The Natural History of the Puget Sound Country by Arthur Kruckeberg. This is a wonderful and exhaustive volume on the Natural world and really gets one to think about the macro and the micro of the region.

In reading Kruckeberg's book, I also became familiar with the NW photographer Mary Randlett. Mrs. Randlett is apparently well known for her portraits of NW artist such as Graves, Toby, and Tsutakawa. She of course also does landscape photography and many of her images are included in the book. In an internet search for her work, I came across a recent book of landscapes entitled befittingly "Landscapes." I am going to ask the local library if they will get a copy. A quote she mentions that is important to her process is " Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among many mysteries"-Theodore Roethke

In the past, I have generally shied away from big glossy books of color landscape photography. Now that I am back in the NW, I cannot seem to get enough books on the region. The Cascades: A Natural Heritage by Scott Ziegler is a tasteful book documenting the Cascades. The photographs were done primarily from 1979 to 2003 (or so) and were shot in 4x5 and 8x10 chrome. The book includes text that is educational in learning about the various regions and history of the Cascade Mountain Range.


My 2 year old son Asher and I have been learning about our own natural history in our immediate neighborhood. We have been collecting plants and labeling them. Many of the plant are familiar, while others are new. So far we have identified over 8 different species of trees within 100 yard of our house, and some 20 plus other plants including Asher's personal favorite, Salmon Berries.

DeHart and Sons, Photo of Plant Identification chart, 7.2008

No comments: