Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Blank Spots on the Map

I generally shy away from books that delve into the "dark" parts of our nations political and military undertakings. Author Trevor Paglen even notes in his own introduction how writing on these kind of topics can often be relegated to conspiracists and sensationalists (my words).

So anyhow I picked Blank Spots on the Map because I was interested in the metaphor of blank spots and also because Rebecca Solnit recommend it on the back of the book. Long story short, it is a really interesting book. Perhaps one of the most compelling arguments that Paglen bring up is the degree of secrecy around both the financial and physical activities of  the US military and CIA operations. Paglen writes in depth about how the constitution states explicitly that all government spending need be transparent, which of course is not the case. Blank Spots on the Map can be read on a number of levels and even if you don't buy all of Paglens arguments, it is an interesting read.

No comments: