Thursday, October 7, 2010

Current Reads

Been enjoying Fred Ritchin's book After Photography. His essay "Photographing the Invisible" was an influential read in graduate school. Ritchin's essays remind me of how much I like thinking about and creating interdisciplinary/lens based work.

P. 58 From Chapter 3, From Zero to One, After Photography, Fred Ritchin (In response to Walter Benjamin's notion of the Aura) "Douglas Davis, in a digital era response six decades later, asserted: "Here is where the aura resides-not in the thing itself but in the originality of the moment when we see, hear, read, repeat, and revise."


Cabinets 38th issue is on Islands-a near and dear interest of mine. Other highlights includes Inventory / An Anthology of Memories from Cabinet’s Published Past by Alejandro Cesarco

 Wish I could have seen the exhibit-almost a decade ago. Good book found in the stacks of the WSU library.


Picked up a copy of Bas Princen's book Five Cities Portfolio: Amman, Beirut, Cairo, Dubai, and Istanbul. While I was in Monograph bookworks (www.monographbookwerks.com) in NE Portland, the owner layed this out in front of me opened up. I couldn't resist. You can learn a bit more about Princen's book:



Thinner Air by John Mann


No comments: