Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Working title: M o v e. An Inquiry Into Process

I am currently working on a modest, self-published book with the working title Move. When completed, the book will include roughly 40 black and white images. I am in the process of formulating the final design, title, and sequencing. 

Cover mockup, Move, Photographs by Dennis DeHart, 8x10 self published book, 2008-2010

In the winter of 2008, I was hired to photograph a single story house being moved from Seattle to Orcas Island. The clients were interested in my documenting the move (they were on vacation in Mexico). The client compensated me fairly, and gave very few parameters, aside from the dates of the move.


For the actual photographs, I opted to do the project using a photojournalistic approach. This included being present, though unobtrusive. A bulk of the move occurred at night, hence I worked in very low light situations. Technically, I shot a Nikon D700 (which had just came out and was being touted for its low light capabilities) 3 lenses including a fast, fixed wide angle lens, and a tripod. I also brought 2 Nikon Speedlights, though I did not to use them during the shoot. 


In many respects, documenting the move was like witnessing a performance, complete with a variety of costumes, characters, props, sets, and locations. The move was also full of drama, emotion, and physicality. Equally, mother nature added her own visual touch with a variety of weather conditions including fog, rain, and snowfall. The use of large, powerful lights by the moving crew, in addition to the available light added to the overall  theatricality and mood.

All Images © Dennis DeHart, 2008/2010

The bulk of my shooting occurred during the first 12 hours of the move on day 1, and the last 8 hours on day 4. The original images were shot in color and as RAW files. The images were converted to black and white in post production. My post production editing was minimal and akin to a traditional "straight" dark room print. This included burning, dodging, and tonal and contrast corrections. 

At this juncture, I am in the process of finishing the images. Some questions that come to mind include:

While the actual process of moving the house had a clear beginning and end, is this chronological approach my best route in editing and sequencing the work? 

Considering the original context of the project, will these images stand on their own within a photo book/art context? Will the blending of work for hire, journalistic/documentary, and creative photos add up to an interesting, layered photo book or simply a creative document?

Should I broaden the book project by expanding other aspects of homes including my documenting the building of my own house? Portraits of builders? A collection of 3 short stories in 1 volume?

Is there an environmental component, and if so, should I amplify or minimize this component?

No comments: