Friday, May 4, 2012

Tech Talk: Tools and Process

Today I was doing some technical tests with my 4x5 Field Camera and a Leaf Digital Back. I have been curious about using this combination for a while and am trying deduce if it is worth my time and energy to employ in aspects of my project, Rambles in the Park. I am currently using a manual Graflok adaptor for the digital back. The process is more akin to shooting with film in terms of focusing, replacing the focusing back with the digital back, and the like. Needless to say, it is very process oriented, and won't change unless I pony up and buy a sliding back adaptor that is 5x more expensive than the manual back.

A self described homeless woman from California with her 9 month old son. I was doing technical tests and she proceeded to sit down in front of my camera and nurse and knit. 

I have an assortment of 4x5 lenses that vary in quality. This morning I was using a Fujinon 90mm lens from perhaps the late 70's . In the past I have used this lens for black and white work and have suspected that the coating/color of the lens was off a bit for color work. After doing some tests this morning, I discovered that the shutter does not work with the digital back below a 1/15 of a second (see below) I also discovered a purplish halo on the subject in certain combinations. 

detail: note purple halo around the babies face

Some people enjoy the process oriented aspects of the view camera. Several of my students embrace the process of large format. I feel this combination is a great way to teach students to slow down and visualize. For me, working with the 4x5 (and film) for Land of the Stratus was rewarding, though I purposely chose to work with the camera, so as to slow down and go back to the basics. 

An exposure at 1/8 of a second with a Leaf Back

My plan is to keep testing this combination for the sake of knowledge, experimentation, and education. At this point, I think investing in a high quality wide angle lens for the the Mamiya 645 DF may be a more practical solution for my current workflow. At some other juncture, perhaps myself or one of my students will find the ideal project to employ this combo. I feel there is a potential, for the right project, to use this hybrid combination of tools and techniques. 

4x5 with Leaf Aptus Digital Back, 90mm lens, F8, 1/15 second, 50 ISO (note no color distortion on this image)

No comments: