v.e. these days you allow yourself to be sentimental?
r.f. Yes, grand old man. But I don't want to take pictures of the tree in spring and in the fall like Steichen did. I just sit here and observe light. You know, photographs immediately make everything old.
-from In conversation with Robert Frank, From the book, Hold Still___Keep Going
r.f. Yes, grand old man. But I don't want to take pictures of the tree in spring and in the fall like Steichen did. I just sit here and observe light. You know, photographs immediately make everything old.
-from In conversation with Robert Frank, From the book, Hold Still___Keep Going
Robert Frank, 7 Bleecker Street NYC, 1993 Winter time innately is a reflective time. Come about the middle of March in Buffalo, with a foot of fresh snow, my memory wanders back through all sorts of nooks and crannies. Yesterday I noticed a Robert Frank book on my book shelf and started flipping through it. Looking at Franks' work made me think of John Mann, who is a big Frank fan. I just happened to be e-mailing with John last week so he was fresh on my mind and I remembered the Frank show we saw together in 2003 at the Austin Museum of arts entitled "Robert Frank Photographs: Selections From the Collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston."
John Manns' work and ideas influenced me in grad school. For better or worse, I was like a sponge and absorbed a lot of influence from my peers. John now teaches at Florida State in Tallahassee, and as would be expected, is making fabulous work. You can view his website: www.rockpapercloud.com
From time to time, I like to take a peek at Johns' website and see what he is up to. I am always delighted by the photographs he makes. His work is modest in form, contemplative in ideas, complex in meaning, and consistently beautiful. His work always manages to leaves an impression on me and somehow finds a way to seep into my own work. I feel a connection with Johns' work visually, emotionally, and conceptually, and that is perhaps why it has power on me. I particularly respond to Johns' work in respect to travel, mapping, paths, journeys, memory, and pleasure of making photographs. I am happy to see John getting some good recognition for his work including an upcoming three person show at Newspace in Portland, Oregon and a residency in Visual Studies Workshop this coming fall, 08.

No comments:
Post a Comment