Saturday, July 19, 2008

Works in Progress-July 08: Water

This week I shot images predominately around water. I have been refining my technique this week including re-reading some tips by John Sexton on developing T-Max films. Because I am likely going to print these negative digitally, I realized after reading Johns tips that I would be better off using the developing times for a diffusion enlarger instead of a condenser enlarger, hence producing a "beefier" negative to scan.

Dennis DeHart, Tide Pools, Works in Progress, 4x5 negative, 2008 (print format still to be determined)

Dennis DeHart, Cascade Falls, Works in Progress, 4x5 negative, 2008 (print format still to be determined)

Dennis DeHart, Creek, Works in Progress, 4x5 negative, 2008 (print format still to be determined)

Three images I shot this week were very successful. Equally, I had metering issues with several shots I took underneath Cascade falls and they came out underexposed, even after spot metering and doing elaborate calculations. In hindsight I was so busy trying to keep things dry, while standing in a foot of water, that I was "distracted." I used a polarizer filter on the 2 top images to eliminate reflections, while I opted not to use it on the bottom because I thought the reflections were more interesting then getting detail in the creek bottom. I used a green filter to lighten the foliage in this scene.

There is much more to these images then technical issues, though for now this is the best way I can process them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think these are really strong images, both technically and compositionally. Well done.